Thread: Boycott?
View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 06, 2001, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry C. Morris
Camron,

The NFL Refs are not on strike. They are being locked out by their employer.
True, but it is essentially a strike. They have a very generous offer and refuse to sign it. They were being offered a 40% increase this year and a total of 100% increase by 2003. That is an outrageous increase. They refused it and the NFL has responded with a 60% immediate increase and total of 120% increase by 2003. THere is talk that this one will be refused too. (All of this by a 12 member executive committee, not by the members of the union).

They argue that they should be on par with the NBA or MLB. I believe that is a silly argument.

They work a single game a week for up to 24 games per year. They have other full time careers. An NBA ref works 3+ games per week. It probably adds up to over 100 games per season. They would not be able to maintain another career with the frequency of games and the associated travel time. The NBA refs would have much more game tape available to review. NBA officials have to be in much better shape than an NFL official.

Sorry, I don't buy any comparison to other official who work many more games/hours per week for as many weeks per year. They mention offseason obligations. The NBA has those too.

I am less familiar with MLB but I bet they work even more nights per week than do the NBA refs and for a longer season too.

If I could make $40,000/yr for a part-time/weekend job in the first year (and up after that) I would be thrilled. And they are talking about rejecting this one too.

What ever is the case, it is foolish to ask for a 300% raise as they are doing. All of this in an economy where thousands of people are getting laid off each day.

Camron

[Edited by Camron Rust on Sep 6th, 2001 at 06:27 PM]