View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 16, 2005, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Okay, I've been gone all day, and it's probably just as well, since this thread has been much more entertaining and interesting without me!

I call it good defense if B can get the ball away from A and oob without B touching the ball, so that B gets the throw-in. By rule, that's the way the game is played.

I'm also very glad to have no Harry Potter fans in the family. I would not want to stay awake till midnight tonight!! Now if it was Beverly Clearly, I'd stand in line for three days, but I'm afraid those days are over.
I took my daughter to Border's last night for the Harry Potter thing. It was kind of fun. I got some writing done, my daughter had a lot of fun, and I had no idea there were so many hot women working in book stores. I need to buy more books!

As to it being good defense, if you are saying it's "good defense" for B to knock the ball away from A by hitting A's hand while it's on the ball, we have very different definitions of good defense. How can you call B hitting A intentionally good defense? Do you see coaches teaching their kids this? "Okay guys, listen up. Today we're going to drill hitting the opponents hand while it's on the ball to deflect the ball out of bounds." I just don't see it. At most a kid might get lucky to have it work out. It is certainly a high risk, low percentage gamble.

You'll also have a devil of a time convincing me that the intent of that little exception in the rule is to allow B to take cheap shots at A's hand. Or that they intended that if B hit A's hand and thus knocked the ball oob that they intended for B to have the ball. The contact is "incidental to an attempt to play the ball" and should be treated as such. Ignore the incidental contact and make your call based on B playing the ball.