View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Old Dude Ref
Let's try another analogy.

I'm sure most of you golf. Let's suppose you stopped your swing one foot AFTER you hit your ball. Would you say that wouldn't have an affect on the flight? Belive me I've hit enough shots under a tree to know there's quite a negative affect on my ball when I can only followthru so far. Same thing on a shot. Go in your driveway and try it. Have someone foul you on the hand (or arm) just when the ball's released. You can't tell me it doesn't affect the shot.
Follow-through is very important, and I certainly call fouls on the shooter before the shooter returns to the floor, *BUT*

The golf analogy doesn't work perfectly here. The reason why your golf shot is changed is because you slow down your swing in order to have the club stop 1 foot past the tee. Assuming the shooter doesn't think he/she is going to get fouled, contact after the shot will not affect the shot.

The assumption, however, is one of the reasons why I do call some fouls on the follow-through, though.