View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to coachsara Send a message via Yahoo to coachsara
I just wish it wasn't that way though. I have another umpire that I am usually partnered with when we go to tournaments. This umpire is also female. We're both young (I'm 28, she's 23) and I know that doesn't help matters. I've been umpiring for a few years but she's new. However, I have complete confidence in her. She always hustles and I'm not sure anyone knows the rules better than her. We call league games together as well. One coach complained to the park commissioner that "these young girls should not be on a field together". The commissioner replied to him that when he looks at us as umpires he doesn't see young. He sees two women that grew up playing competitive softball and who are skilled in what they do.

We've been called everything in the book this year-including racist F#@king bi$%ches. (that got the 14-under coach a forfeit of his game he was winning)

I worry more about going to a tournament, working with someone new, and him thinking oh crap, its a woman and I'm going to have to take up for her. I don't want my partner to have that mentality.

Its been such a learning experience and I know I will continually be challenged. I wish I didn't have that added stress when I walk onto a field but I do. I think I'm learning that my breaking point needs to come a lot sooner than what I've let it in the past.