View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 12, 2005, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Quote:
Originally posted by theboys
Just gotta pass this on.

My son's 17U team played in a local tournament last weekend. He was hurt, didn't play, so I wasn't nearly as "excitable" as normal.

Our first game of the tournament started at 9:30 on a Friday night. It was, by far, the ugliest game I've ever witnessed. I have a six year-old who played kindergarten basketball last winter, and I play in a men's church league, so I'm pretty familiar with ugly.

The two teams probably combined for over 40 turnovers. Offensive possessions were largely 1-on-5, with the person who had the ball as the team crossed halfcourt being the one who took the shot. Defense was generally 5-on-1, often 5-on-0. Even though, missed wide-open lay-ups were common. Pitiful.

Unfortunately, the officials struggled, as well. One of the officials must've mowed his yard just before coming to the game. He still had on his yard work tennis shoes.

Within in a minute of the start of the game, all player shirttails were out. Trash talk dominated every trip down the floor. A fight almost broke out at the end of the second quarter. Fans for both teams were widely making rear ends of themselves.

With about four minutes left in the fourth quarter, the opponent started a fast break near our bench. Our coach stuck his leg in the air, faking like he was going to kick the ball. It disconcerted the dribbler, who lost it out of bounds. The ref rightly gave the opponent the ball, but wrongly failed to call a tech on our coach. I told him after the game I couldn't believe he did it. I told my son privately it was one of the most unsportsmanlike things I've seen on a basketball court.

With a couple of minutes left in the game, refs called a foul on one of our players. He thought it was his fifth, so walked off the court. As he neared the sideline, he took his jersey off, and dropped it on the floor. The coaches shouted to him it was only his fourth, so he reached down to pick up his shirt, to put it back on. You guessed it. T - fifth foul. Funny as long as it happens to someone else.

Game ended with a steal off of a steal, and two fumbled passes that ultimately went out of bounds as the buzzer went off. We won by one point.

I went outside and puked on my shoes.
Sounds almost as bad as Mens Rec League.
Not enough fights, ejections and forfeits by the sound of it. Give these guys a few years, they'll get up to men's rec league standards.