View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
"if a team is up by 30 and still pressing, you call a foul if they even so much as breathe on their opponent. It's called game management."
B.S. Pure and simple. Maybe he was exaggerating to make his point. But if you're going to call fouls b/c the pressing team plays tight defense, that's not game management.

I will agree with the people here who have said they will adjust their judgment on how much contact gives the defense an unfair advantage. A small handcheck may be a big advantage. But a double-team in the backcourt should not automatically mean that you call a foul on one of the defenders, simply b/c they're close enough to "breathe" on the ball handler.

What can happen if you start making "sympathy" calls is that the winning team gets frustrated and decides that if they're going to get called for fouls, then they're going to actually commit them. That's not a good situation, and you've ended up by "managing" your game into the toilet.

In the other thread, the thing that I disagreed with was NOT the opinion that we should tighten up on the winning team. What I disagreed with was the statement that we should refrain from putting the winning team on the line. Different issue for me.