View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
It's not that hard to justify, even to Jurassic. You use the language of advantage/disavantage. If Team A has been the state champions for the last 12 years and Team B is at the bottom of the league, and the score if 50 points separated by half-time (I've done a game or two like this), the logic runs like this:

Anything that Team A does gives them an advantage. That's because they're a lot better than Team B. So if what they are doing is illegal, it's an illegal advantage, and you have to call it. This doesn't mean that you're making anything up. It just means that with those borderline calls, you're calling stuff that you might not call in a game where the skill level is closer.

The real question is when Team B is in the double bonus, and they're not hitting their free throws, are you really doing them any favors?
In a post about "Game Management," Jurassic had called this practice unfair and favoritism. Others had agreed. Besides, the camp director wasn't talking about borderline calls. My personal philosophy is that you do "move the line" a little bit, but I'm not going to make anything up. I will tighten it up on team A though if B is getting humiliated but I'm not going to make it obvious to everyone in the gym.

Z