View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 10, 2005, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Just got back from being a clinician at a weekend ref camp. I know there have been some back-and-forth threads on here about whether or not officials should just keep calling the game "straight up" when one team has a huge lead and continues to press.

The guy running this camp does D2, D3 and gets either a semi or a state championship every time he goes to a boys state HS tourney. One of the most respected refs around. His assistant also does some D2 and is one of the elite HS refs in the state.

One of the games on Sat morning was a mis-match between two 4A boys teams. After the game, the camp director gets the three officials together and tells them that they should have been calling fouls on the better team once the game was no longer in doubt. His quote was, "if a team is up by 30 and still pressing, you call a foul if they even so much as breathe on their opponent. It's called game management." Some of the other clinicians (all good and well-respected refs) agreed. I remained completely silent and wondered what Jurassic would have said.

I now duck and watch the volleys begin.

Z