View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 09, 2005, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Last Spring, working Frosh Boys tourney. Before the games, Ad tells me to take care of my partner. Second game of the morning. My partner is a good friend. He has been officiating for a very very long time. He's had some health problems and lost a step or two in the last couple of years -- and a lot of his patience with coaches. Here's the situation. About 35 seconds left. V team is up by 2. V team pulls down a rebound and starts upcourt. I switch from T to L and am in a good position for a fast break. V team pulls up and sets a play. V G goes right around a screen just inside the mid court line and starts driving for the basket. If he makes the shot he pretty much ices the game. Defender is 6-8 feet from me and I have been watching the play all the way. Defender clearly has LGP. He's straight up and has his toes planted through the floor. Driving guard drops his shoulder and plows into him. I blow the whistle and am ready to signal a charge when suddenly I hear my partner's voice ring out "I got it, I got this one!" He runs in from the trail position about ten yard behind the play, points to the defender and signals a block. Then he quickly turns to the table and reports it as a block. I can't believe what just happened. He runs into my area on my whistle, takes the call right out of my mouth, reports it before even looking at me -- and he's blown the call! H coach is livid. Fans are livid and I'm in shock! H team hits one and the bonus to tie the game. Then with 1.3 seconds left he calls a touch foul in a tie-game that sends H player to the line. He hits two free throws and wins the game. My partner leaves the court with a big smile because he was so proud of his game. I was speechless. Due to our friendship, I kept my mouth shut, but this was wrong. Two bad calls in the last minute cost the better team the game. What would you say if this happened to you? What would you suggest I say if it happens again this year. Anything? or Nothing?