View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by drinkeii

So in sports, it is appropriate to scream in another player's face? Simple question. Yes or no?
It is appropriate in the sports I work. I know of no rule that makes it clear that yelling something illegal. I think you are just trying to find something because you do not like it. In all the sports I work, not only are the rules important, but so is custom. The yelling of "ball, ball, ball...." is a custom as long as I can remember in the game of basketball. I know a similar call is made in football when the ball is on the ground. Players are not yelling this to intimidate their opponents; they are letting their teammates of a situation.

Quote:
Originally posted by drinkeii
As I said - I'll accept the general consensus that it's not a foul. I don't like it - I don't agree with it - But it's not my rules - it's the NFHS rules, and I'll follow those. That was why I brought it up here - to see if I was correct or not - I was not.
You are right, these are the NF rules. I the NF feels this is not appropriate, then they will make a ruling or call to question this action and change the rules to reflect that. Also your state and assignors can make a philosophy change to reflect your opinion. Until then, you are just reaching for straws hoping that someone will go along with your ideal.

Peace
And if that football player gets into an opponent's face and starts screaming that the ball is on the ground, you don't think the officials will step in? Again, I was never talking about communication - I am talking about the 2-3 inch from your face at the top of your lungs screaming.

And last I checked - there is a rule book and case book (and a few others for basketball) - no "custom" book. Just becaue people do it doesn't mean it is sportsmanlike, or should be part of the game. The argument "We've always done it that way" is the worst cop-out you can have to not making a change for the better.

Finally - i was not reaching for straws. I was looking for opinions on how to handle it. We know the general consensus - there is nothing to handle. So best I can do is hope the NFHS sees it for what it is... something not covered in the rules that, at least to me, is clearly unsportsmanlike, and call the game ignoring those actions.

[Edited by drinkeii on Jul 6th, 2005 at 06:33 PM]