Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drinkeii
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by drinkeii
when the officials aren't even able to keep the players reasonably safe, they are not qualified
In general, I agree with you. However, nothing is perfect. I had a game once that was very "mild" - few fouls, certainly nothing even coming close to "rough play". With about two minutes left, one player just up and punched another player right in the mouth. This was a boys varsity rec game.

No one could have seen this coming and there was nothing beforehand that could have tipped us off.

Both coaches were aghast (get out your dictionary).

BTW - we never found out what prompted it.
That is not a consistent lack of control during a game - that is a freak incident, over which the officials have no control. I'm referring to games where the game is out of control from the beginning, with hard fouls not getting called.

I am glad to see someone agrees with me about something
If it is out of control from the beginning it is the coaches fault, not the officials.

It's subjective too. I've seen coaches screaming for "obvious" fouls when there was zero contact, and "hard or intentional" fouls on players playing the ball with normal contact.

Any time a coach uses the, "You are going to get somebody hurt," or, "Several players got hurt, " they have zero credibility.

I had a game where a player broke his wrist after his shot was blocked. Completely clean play, LGP, verticality and no contact before the block. The offensive player got spun slightly when his shot was blocked and he caught the defenders hip on the way down. His legs went horizontal and he landed on his arm first.

Did I feel bad? Sure.

Was there a foul? No.

Was the injury my fault? No.

You prove JR and my initial impression of you with every post you make.