Thread: To David Rinke
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by drinkeii
Well, I myself am not perfect. However, I do expect that people will give their best effort when they do anything.
Dave, I debated a long time about whether to reply to any of your recent threads. You've posted on the forum before and I've responded and we've never had a problem, as far as I can recall.

And I don't really understand this campaign you're on over the last couple weeks. Your posts sound like you're taking the officiating personally. They seem overwhelmingly negative in tone, for some reason.

So, as I said, I debated about whether to respond b/c I have a feeling that you're not going to like my comment. But here it is anyway.

You are making an error by expecting officials (even certified officials) to give their best effort in every game of a weekend tournament. There are at least two reasons for this.

1) Most officials are doing multiple games at these tournaments. If an official gave 100% in the first game, he wouldn't be worth a plug nickel in the second and third games.

2) To be honest, I can do a great job on a 7th/8th grade game or a JV level game without giving my best effort. That's not to be snotty, it's just a fact. The level of play doesn't demand my full physical and mental ability. And that's also true for lots of other certified HS officials.

So expecting officials to give their best effort in every game of a weekend tournament is simply unrealistic. You should (and I'm sure you do) expect them to be competent, but as others have pointed out, you don't have any control over that, either. If the tournament hires college kids, you're SOL. And there's exactly nothing to do about it except stay home. Complaining to an official like that will accomplish nothing.

I hope you get good officials at your next tournament, but more than that, I hope you adjust your expectations and your response to the "unqualified" refs.