View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
C'mon, guys... the runner running on a (presumed) D3K is specifically excepted from the retired runner drawing a throw interference rule. You even reference the rule. And, if you are basing your argument on the fact that the 3K rule does not apply here since 1B was occupied, I ask you - how else would a retired runner running on D3K be an issue? IOW, the rule is obviously intended to cover the situation where the runner "thinks" she can run.
Quote:
And, wrt interference with the play on R1... that would have to be an intentional act (other than merely running).
I respectfully disagree. The rule (8-7-P) doesn't apply to the batter-runner running on the dropped third strike rule. Well, in this sitch, the batter never became a batter-runner, so the "exemption" to this rule doesn't apply. And it certainly doesn't mention presumed. What DOES apply is the runner "after being declared out" intentionally interferes... In this sitch, the runner intentionally ran to first. Whether she knew the D3K was off or not, she intentionally ran to 1B, knowing (intending?) that the throw would go to 1B to get her out. Smells like intention to me.

How else would a retired [batter-]runner running on D3K be an issue? It wouldn't - you couldn't have a retired BR running on D3K. You could have a retired runner running on a presumed D3K... but see above for that. I guess I don't understand your question...?

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
It's three outs, but not by way of INT.

The post specfically stated the the retired batter was "nailed" in the back by the catcher as she was proceding toward 1B. Well, if the catcher was throwing to 2B to get R1, it wouldn't be likely the retired batter would be anywhere near the throw unless the catcher was coached to throw at her.

B out on strikes, R1 steals 2B on DMC and then R1 is out attempting to take 3B.

After the dust settles, the catcher may be gone for USC if the umpire believes she was indeed throwing at the retired batter.
Now this side of the argument I can see. A few things tho:
- What's DMC?
- Which overrules: Interference by a retired runner, or USC on the catcher? Can a runner (retired or not) interfere with an USC throw?

To both Tom and Mike: I am somewhat playing devil's advocate to spark discussion, not to be disrespectful. I am trying to learn (aren't we all?) so I can get the call right when/if it happens to me. I mean no ill will.