Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
Originally posted by TigerBball
OK, every HS ref that can live off of what they make being a ref, reply now.

No one, hmmmmmm.

I am a coach, and I take my teams to summer team camps, and I understand that I am not going to have qualified refs during the day at these camps. Most adult refs have other jobs, that is where they are, so what do we get during the day, college kids taking summer classes at whatever school we are at. They are making a little extra cash.

This is the way it is and we just have to deal with it. Getting upset is not going to help, you are just going to get a ref that is already in over his head frustrated and worrying about you, and then you really will see bad calls.

The key is to get with the administrator between games and ask him to talk to a ref about the way he is handling the game. I do this all the time.

I might say "Administrator, see that kid over their, could you encourage him to get up and down the court more and tell him not to be afraid to call the fouls."

As a side note, If you are an assignor for a summer camp, it has been my experience that if you must rely on un-qualified refs, female college students put a lot more effort into the game than males. The guys are so worried about looking cool and all they want to do is shoot between quarters and at half time, the ladies are their to prove that they can handle themselves in a male dominated camp and they usually do a great job.

I will say that my Daughter went to a team camp a couple of weekends ago and she said that ALL the refs looked Hs or College aged. She said it was not very well officiated and that their coach made a comment that they need to be careful and don't get hurt. She said that it was pretty rough but she still had fun and benefitted from the experience.

To the coaches, if you're really worried about the officiating, find those team camps in your area that are associated with a referee camp. You should get excellently called games as usually the ______ officials are not going to pay money to attend these camps. I'm not saying that people who don't attend camps are any less, worse or whatever officials, but you generally will not see a college student who has no aspirations of getting better at one of these camps.

The team camp I am attending next month I am paying to attend. It is a girls' HS team camp and there will be 15 less experienced officials such as myself partnered with more veteran officials to do 5 games over the weekend and to watch 5 games. I am going in order to improve and also to be seen as I live in a sparsely populated area and am mostly seen by the guys in my area. I figure to pick up some good habits along with good advice on game management.
Exactly what I'm talking about. You're obviously not a _____ official as you are concerned with getting better and actually doing something about it.