Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Dave Libbey once described officiating at two games: on-ball and off-ball. You want to see the consequences of the ball while officiating a play on-ball. While officiating off-ball call contact. Period.
Another official mentioned the term "ref the defense" and said it was wrong. We should ref the matchup. Most of the time you will only have to look at two matchups (4 players) max at the C. Once it is more then that a rotation should occur.
Please keep in mind that there are quite a few differences between 3-person and 2-person, and between the levels where 2-person is worked, nd the levels where 3-person is worked. In two person, you don't have the luxury of watching only two match-ups, at least not very often. I'd say ref the defense is very good advice at any level that takes 2-person. As players move around the floor, you need to know that the screen was set, or that there was legal guarding position before contact. In order to do that, you need to focus more on the defense. It sounds like the statement that "ref the defense" is wrong came at a 3-person camp, which would probably include a higher level of play, and obviously a different style of reffing.
I never said it was wrong, I said it can cause an official to lose sight of everything else if taking too literally.

I never said you said it was wrong!