View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 01:40am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by drinkeii

I'm not talking Harvard or Yale - I'm talking about the local catholic gradeschools or highschools. There is some prestige associated with one high school in our area, but a number of people coming out of there who haven't been able to read, but were sports stars, have raised some concerns, of course. I'm talking about situations where you're sending your kids to these schools, and expecting a good education - not expecting because the teachers are paid half of what public school teachers are that they will only give half the effort due to lack of pay.
Private schools regardless of where they are tend to have prestige that most public schools do not. It does not matter if it is a Harvard or Yale or just a school like Brother Rice or a Driscoll High School in my area. These schools have a social, academic and financial prestige that comes with attending those schools. The prestige of the school is really important when you have many successful people that have attended those schools over the years. Parents are not just sending their kids to schools like that because they think the teachers are giving a great effort. It might be a factor for some, but I would bet there are many other factors at play.

Quote:
Originally posted by drinkeii
I do agree that it is difficult to do 4-5 games the same way you would do one. I seem to be able to do 3 reasonably intense games without too much drop off in level of hustle, then it drops considerably. This is why I ask not to be given long stretches of games, and assignors have been accommodating in this regard. I'd rather walk out with a few less $$ and a feeling that I did a good job, than more money and feel like I didn't really earn it. And yes, I know, this isn't a common attitude... more money, less effort is the mantra of most people these days it seems.
Well that sounds great. I am glad you want to take less money and summer league games are the same as regular season games in your mind. The reality it that attitude is the exception that I have seen. I know I do not share your attitude. I do the best for the situation that I am in. I do not treat summer league games the same way I do as regular season games. Many times I am just trying to survive. The effort I give is secondary. I have worked a few games in the past few weeks where there was no air conditioning in the gym and it was near 100 outside. I know I was not working my hardest in those situations. I was trying to make it through the games as much as what I called and what I did not call.

Peace