View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 01:05am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by drinkeii

Something got lost in the grammar here. The first part of the paragraph makes no sense. Besides, if an official is offered the game, and chooses to accept the game, I would hope that they are qualified, and if they do so, they should do their best, regardless of the pay.
The term "qualified" is a very subjective term. You might think someone is qualified to work a game and I might think they have no business working at all.

Quote:
Many varsity officials officiate in these leagues - I'm concerned with the ones (even though it is only a few) who refuse to do their best because they're not being paid as much as for a varsity game. I don't care if they get a little sloppy on mechanics - I'm concerned when they choose not to make calls that keep the game under control and the players safe. Many comment that the game takes longer if they make calls - even knowing that it is a running clock. This makes no sense at all.
Just because someone works varsity game, does not mean they are the best people for the games you are talking about. This is something you need to take up with the assignor, not anyone here. We cannot help you with your concern. All we can do is tell you why things are the way they are and it is up to you to take steps to change it.

Quote:
If the idea of pay was the only consideration, people better stop sending kids to Catholic schools - I made half of what I do now in the public schools. I didn't work half as hard. I didn't do half as much work as I do now. I did my best. I would hope that everyone would do so in whatever they choose to put their time and effort into. I officiate because I enjoy it - not for the money - that is just a side benefit.
One of the reasons people send their kids to private schools is not because of the effort the teachers give, because there is a prestige that school brings. Parents are not paying as much for just the education, but the perception of what an education from those schools give. Going to a Harvard or Yale does not automatically mean you are smarter. But when you graduate the perception of the person that went there is like night and day to other college institutions. It has been proven at both Harvard and Yale there has been a problem with grade inflation. Teachers would not give C, D or F grades, because there was this culture of not hurting anyone's feelings or ruining any students future. Just think of how many Presidents have graduated from both schools and were not the best students.

Now back to the officiating discussion. I give my best too, but I would never claim it was the same effort that I give in the regular season. I do not work many 4 and 5 games in the regular season as I do in the off-season.

Peace