View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 12:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by drinkeii
Welcome to the real world? I'm not going for sarcasm here - I'm raising what I consider to be a reasonable concern.

I would think that facilities and assignors would take the time to make sure they have reasonably qualified officials for the level of games that they are giving them - otherwise, it would seem to open up a can of worms in terms of liability. I'm not likely to act upon this presumed liability, but parents of my players might be so inclined.
Yes, welcome to the real world. I do not know about you, but basketball is not the only thing I do with my life. I have other things going on. I just got back from being out of town for a couple of days. I came back and I wanted to spend some time with my family. Officiating basketball is not my top priority at this time of year. I know for a fact I am not the only one that feels that way either. So yes, you will get officials that normally are not as experienced or talented. The assignor cannot make people do things they do want to do. I work baseball too and I do not make myself available during the summer. When I work summer baseball, I work often with people that are not as "qualified" or would not work the level of kids they are umpiring.

Quote:
Originally posted by drinkeii
I am in an unusual situation as a coach. Our school doesn't have athletics - we are an academic magnet high school, and we farm our kids out to other local schools for HS sports. The team(s) I coach are kids from our school, playing to get better, playing for fun, and playing to learn to work together as a team. These are the three goals I give them when we start. Win or lose, I don't care, and I make a point of this to the kids - I don't care if we get beat by 40... if they played a good game, I'm happy with them, and so far, have found that they are happy with themselves once they get over the fact that they lost. I just want them to get better - many of my players go on to play HS sports for another school. I am, however, concerned for their safety, and do expect that whatever league we sign up to play in, that it will be a concern of the facility and assignor as well. I don't believe this is an unresonable expectation.

I have always considered, as a official, my first responsibility is to the safety of the players. Second, to the rules, and third, to game flow. Many officials seem more concerned with game flow than safety. This seems to be a rather callous and inappropriate attitude. I understand there are inherent risks in the game, but there are inherent risks in everything we do in life - when there are people in place to help keep the participants safe, that should be their primary concern.
If you think safety is an issue because "qualified," then find some more money and pay enough money to make it worth the while of the "qualified" officials. Until then, you get what you pay for. If you do that, problem solved.

Peace