View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 02, 2005, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
I have refereed both systems and prefer the NBA/NCAA women's better. It never makes sense for a trail to make a call from 35 ft away when lead can take a step and call it from 10.
This last comment, Kelvin, just doesn't hold water. You may not want the T to call a foul on a 3-point shot from the corner in an NCAAM game. But then it's ok for the T to call a foul in the post while the L administers the sideline throw-in? What sense does that make? If it's ok in one system, it's ok in the other system.

To me, the NBA system is worse b/c it forces two officials to shift their field of vision more often than the NCAAM system. Example: A1 in the post has the ball and then passes it to A2 in the Lead's corner, outside the arc. A2 then passes back to A1 who turns and attempts a try. This is a basic play that is run all the time in both systems.

Now, what is happening during this play in the two systems? In the NBA system, at the beginning of the play, the Lead has the ball in the post and the T has the off-ball stuff in the corner. Now when the ball is passed to the corner, the L shifts his eyes (and position) to the corner and the T shifts his eyes to the players banging for position in the post. Both officials shift the field of vision. Then when the ball is passed back to A1 in the post, the Lead closes back down and shifts his eyes to the post, while the T shifts his eyes back to the corner and screening action. Again, both officials shift their field of vision.

In the NCAAM game, the Lead always officiates the post play throughout this play. Neither official has to adjust position or field of vision. This just seems to me to be significantly and obviously better for consistent officiating.

In the NBA system, the Lead cannot see the whole play develop between A1 and B1 in the post if he has to take his eyes off them to officiate the possible 3-point attempt in the corner. He just can't. And the Trail can't officiate the post-play as effectively as he could officiate the 3-point shot. He just can't.

I've worked both systems too (although admittedly, not a lot of the NBA system), and I personally think the NCAAM areas of coverage are better by far than the NBA coverages. JMO, obviously.