View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 02, 2005, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

It was apparent to the fans -at least- that she would have scored if not for the obstruction (she was obstructed with before the ball even hit the ground in the outfield) - the play was close at the plate. I think I am satisfied with all the explanations - and I think she should have been called safe at home. Interestingly, after this occured, I looked at our state HS website which had a clarification of the rule -
(Iowa Girls'HS Athletic Union)
"OBSTRUCTION AWARDS---Just remember, the obstructed runner shall be awarded a minimum of one base beyond the last base legally touched before the obstruction occurred. It does not matter whether the coach is stopping her at that base or it didn’t appear that she was going to go to the next base or not. The fielder is not entitled to be there, so award the penalty. It can be more than one base if the umpire felt the runner would have definitely made more had the obstruction not occurred."

Apparently our umpires didn't read this - or didn't think she would have made it to home (I am SURE it is the first scenario - but they can use the second scenario and be right too....)

Thanks for all the help - now we know!