View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

I had a similar play to Tom's some time ago, in a HS varstiy game. Obstruction called on F3 after a bad throw that pulls her off the bag, BR stops at first base. As F3 retrieves the ball and is throwing it back to the pitcher, the first base coach tells the BR..."he called obstruction, you get to go to second." The BR casually trots toward second base as the ball is in the air on the way back to the pitcher, the pitcher catches the ball and just watches the BR trot to second.

Here comes the defensive coach wanting to know what's going on...I tell her that the ball was still live and that the pitcher did not have possession of the ball in the circle when the BR left first base, the BR's advancement stands.

When the inning is over, I tell the first base coach that obstruction does not carry an automatic award...she gives me a look and says..."it doesn't?" About that time, her head coach comes and gets her to explain the rule and applicable awards correctly.

Not to hijack the post...but what if the pitcher had the ball in the circle when the BR left first base? Would the DDB from the obstruction be considered over since the play has ended? Is the BR now subject ot being called out on the lookback rule?

[Edited by Andy on Jul 1st, 2005 at 04:00 PM]