View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
I have a question - I have been officiating 6 years, and never had anything I was able to call for this, which I considered to be well outside the bounds of the game, but the rules don't seem to support this.

Several weeks ago, at a tournament, another official asked why we didn't call anything on this one girl who was doing it, and I said I didn't know of anything to call - Soccer has a rule for it - it's called "Deliberate Verbal Tactics", and is a yellow card (similar to a technical foul without free throws, to compare). He said it is unsportsmanlike conduct, and that I should warn her about it, and then T her up for U.C. if she continued.

I'm not talking about when a person says "BALL", even loudly, even 1-2 times, or something like it... (I got ball, ball's dead, dead, or something similar) in an attempt to communicate with teammates. I'm talking when the defensive girl (which guys never do this) gets inches away from the girl who has the ball, and starts yelling "BALL" in her face repeatedly and extremely loudly. I agree with the idea that this is unsportsmanlike - it is similar in effect, although more aggressive, than face guarding, which is defined in the rules as illegal.

My partner for several different games had no problem with this. My partner today had a problem with it, saying I was taking away their ability to play defense, and he couldn't work with someone who was that "nit-picky" about the rules.

I'm looking to see what #1) the rules say in regards to this, and #2) general opinions on how to handle it. I already know most guys won't call it - that's not an issue. I also know it isn't soccer, so the above mentioned rule doesn't apply. I'm looking to see if the person who told me this is reasonable in their interpretation, as well as having rule support for it.

Thanks in advance!