View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

The point that I see consistently overlooked is that sports officials are NEVER alone with the youth players will performing out job responsibilities. That is not true of coaches, teachers, or school volunteers. How is it even considered that sports officials have an opportunity to abuse the youth when our activities are always performed with coaches, parents, and two full teams present?

In our area, one county agency wants background checks; other agencies have inquired what our position (as an association) would be if they mandated background checks. Our current position is that we will sign releases and submit to the checks (subject to the right of any individual to decline), but that we will not be responsible for any part of that cost. In other words, if you want it, you figure out how to pay for it. I personally would simply decline (and would use any influence I have over others) to participate in any program that wanted me to pay for their regulatory concerns, when, as I said, we are under continuous supervision.