View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Question

Here is the situation:
Koufax summer league game and I am the PU. This one coach has already been warned for arguing balls and strikes. He is down 9-2 in the sixth. Close call at first for the last out of the inning. Before I know it, he's standing in front of me at home.

Coach, "Can I appeal that?"

I'm like "Appeal what?"

Coach "The out at first."

Me, incredulously "Nnnooooo." (Apparently he didn't like the way I said no)

Coach, "Your an a$$hole blue!"

Needless to say he immediately got the big finger wave.

Now the coach takes about a minute and leaves the field. The pitcher is starting to warm up and I call my partner down. I ask him if the coach is now in the bleachers down the first base line. He says yes. I told him if he makes a sound to send him to his car.

Don't you know after the last out, I go to put the balls down by the dugout and the ejected coach comes back on the field. Now he's in front of me saying, "You got show me more respect blue."

I said, "Well you need to learn the rules. You can't appeal a judgement call and if you want to argue with anyone, go to the umpire who made the call," as I was walking away.

Some questions,
1. Should I have insisted that the coach go to the parking lot? The stands were 15 feet away from the dugout and maybe a total of 10 feet from the fence (and there wasn't much foul territory, so he was close).

2. While I already let my assignor know about the ejection, I didn't include the after game incident. Should I have included that?

3. Did I perhaps bait the coach a little with my incredulous no answer. Should I even care?
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates