View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 10:13pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
I'm not one to shy away from a T if it is deserved but I think I will give the players and the coaches a warning about this during the captains/coaches meeting prior to the game. I think I will try to explain to them that this is a rule in black and white. I think this rule is a tad bit touchy but will apply it if the board wants it carried out by the book. I'm sure someone will bring it up at most meetings and our local interpreters will be able to tell us what they think. Has this stopped us in the past with some rules? No. However, if we are directed to call it by the book there is nothing that says we can't do something prior to the game to prevent it from happening.
Yabut..........

If you warn pre-game, then you pretty much gotta call it if it comes up during the game. If you don't call it, fer sure you're gonna get the other coach whining at ya saying "You told us that was a T. They're doing it and I want my T. I want it,I want it.....". The pregame warning kinda takes away your option of selective blindness. Jmo but I think that this just might be one new rule that maybe turns out as the poster boy for selective blindness.
You might be right. That is another approach to take. It could lead to a problem if someone is told to apply this rule as written. Some younger officials need to see what is going on so their assigners continue to gain trust. The sad part is the fact that this rule will probably not be applied consistently.