View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Check the weather report beforehand...

Quote:
Originally posted by Blu_IN
Quote:
Originally posted by SRW
If you know it's gonna be hot on your tournament days, start hydrating yourself about 3 days ahead of time. For hot days, I use the following schedule:

3 days before: 1/2 gallon of water
2 days before: 1/2 to 3/4 gallon
1 day before: 3/4 to 1 gallon. No alcoholic drinks.

Thanks, thats the type of stuff I am looking for. I always have water out there with me but I was looking for some tricks other then just more water and gatorade.

I used to be able to handle heat with no problems, I guess I am just getting fatter and older. Was thinking about heading down to SC in a month to work for a week straight but I'm just not sure. I am so out of shape for these hot summer weekends. I worked 12 total this weekend and that last plate game was just terrible. It was still very passable and I'm sure the common person didn't think anything of it, but personally I know it wasn't even close to what I expect from myself out there.

Blu_IN:
Just remember: "Hot" to me up here in Seattle is 65+ and overcast. Also, I'm a skinny guy compared to a lot of you (I'm 160# )so you may need to adjust the levels up for your body size and the weekend temperature.

Another thing I could recommend is daily cardio work. Take a fast walk around your block after dinner or something to get your body moving and heart rate pumping.

Also, stretch out... not just game day, but all the time. When you're at the office, home, wherever: stretch every hour... push a wall, flex the quads, toes on stairs, etc. It'll help your overall stamina when you're working those 8-12 game weekends.

Disclaimer: I'm a civil engineer, not a physical trainer.