View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tzme415
Just an odd question since I don't have my rule book handy. Does the Catcher's box apply to SP?

I have so many catchers in Coed, mainly women, that stand way behind the plate - sometimes practically at the backstop. This sometimes makes it difficult to get a decent look at the pitches or get out to see fair or foul balls. I don't want to stand in front of the catcher, but sometimes I do have to stand beside.
The rule applies. It likely depends on the level of play and if the catchers box is marked as to whether it is valid to enforce it. But, you are not to allow the pitcher to throw a pitch if the catcher isn't in the catchers box at the start of the pitch.

I haven't done slow pitch for several years, but when I did, I would absolutely enforce the front of the catchers box. The sides are generally not an issue, and I wouldn't let the depth become an issue. I would simply tell a catcher (in the hearing of the pitcher) that for me to call a consistent strike zone for you, I need to stand HERE. If you won't let me stand here because of where you stand, you need to explain to your pitcher why he isn't getting the strike calls he thinks he is entitled to. It would have to be an outrageous and spiteful act by a catcher for me to bother calling an illegal pitch for where he/she is standing; after all, the result is the same (batter has the option to hit the pitch, otherwise, it is a ball).

Just how I used to handle it; I am sure others have ways that work for them.