View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PSU213
The safety came in with 8.2.2B (although no one specifically mentioned the safety element from the Case Book play). I think the confusion is: does the safety "element" somehow change the choices for the scoring team? In other words, must B decline A's foul in every case or just when A's foul would also result in a safety?

But you are correct, on and Int/fumble return for a TD, the scoring team would have to decline a foul by their opponents that occured prior to a change of possession in order to keep the TD.
REPLY: PSU213...I don't see that the safety element in the case play in any way affects how rule 8-2-2 is interpreted or enforced. It's just another consequence of A's holding foul. B can always accept the penalty and the two points it gives them. But then they 'lose' the TD. As I mentioned earlier, that might be a reasonable choice in rare situations, but it is a choice. But, as others have said, since the hold occurred before the COP, it's excluded from any consideration for caryy-over into the PAT. The rule really doesn't care where it occurred, but does care when it occurred relative to the COP. The fact that the stated case play had the hold occurring in A's endzone adds a new dimension to B's decision, but doesn't change how the carry-over rule is interpreted or enforced. I think we're all in violent agreement on this one.