View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 25, 2001, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Dave,
When comparing ASA's DP/DEFO to Fed's DH, you're really comparing apples and oranges. Some of the similarities of the DP and the DP positions are:
-Can be for any defensive player (not just pitchers).
-Must be there at start of the game - can't be added once game has started.
-No multiple substitutions allowed that change the batting order.

Some of the key differences are:
-Once the Fed "DEFO" plays offensively OR the DH plays defensively, the DH role is done for the duration of the game - the lineup goes from 10 to 9 & stays at 9. The ASA role of DP is NEVER terminated during the course of the game.
-ASA's DP/DEFO use can see the lineup go from 10 to 9 to 10 to 9 to 10
-ASA's DP may play defensively for any player (other than the DEFO) without affecting the lineup. The D may play defensively for several players during the course of the game.

This is by no means all of the differences, but it's enough to show that this really is a comparison of apples and oranges. Now, as for how very clearASA is on this - they are getting better, but it took me close to 2 full seasons to understand what can & can not be done with the DP. While most of us have made understanding this much harder than it should be, I do think ASA could do a better job of making clear what this position is. The NCAA DP is identical to ASA's and my personal opinion is that NCAA is much clearer about the positions - until 2002, anyway. Starting with 2002, NCAA is screwing things up by changing what the DP and DEFO are called. Go figger.