View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you had a baseball umpire who didn't make the "transition" to softball!

Sergio gave you the box dimensions and as you can see a call such as that one is nearly impossible in a softball game.

I had a catcher a couple of months ago that would use the box to her advantage. She was a "lefty", kinda fiesty also but an awesome ballplayer. She would set in the middle of the zone, give the sign, and then as noisily as she could (not vocal, just clattering her gear) would move all the way out to the right edge of the box, still within the catchers box, and up as far as she could. The batters of course would take a peek and be expecting a way out "trash pitch". I would be in the slot with nothing in between me and the pitcher! They would usually throw a fast ball on the INSIDE corner, belt high. The first one was a bit startling to me but I got the strike. The rest of the pitches I knew what was coming, and just enjoyed them! Most every pitch they did that way froze the batter, and added a called strike. The catcher never missed a pitch! I did warn my partner when she had the plate.