View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

I had my first camp as well. It was IIOC camp in Murfreesboro, TN and it was unbelieveable. It consisted of about 10 NBA officials. The instruction that we all received was unbelieveable. In classroom we would watch a DVD of plays that the NBA officials use for their own study.

John Guthrie, the supervisor of officials for the SEC was the frontman for this camp, and until this week I never understood how revolutionary he is. This man is all about getting the call right. He does not microdot (which means he does not sweat the small things) about such things as whether you announce your numbers with one or two hands, if you use a lanyard or not, and other things of that sort. He just wants you to be in the right spot so you can call the play correctly and wants you to call the play correctly.

I say this camp is not for the faint of heart. These are NBA officials instructing you and they of course are passionate about their work, so if they think you missed a call because you were out of position or you just missed a call they will let you know, if a coach is ripping into you and you don't handle it accordingly they will let you know. It has a very militarized feel to it. At almost every classroom we have to wear the same clothes, which I myself personally liked it gave the camp some uniformity which correlated straight to the playing floor with all of us making the same types of calls, etc.

I would advise anybody who gets invited to this camp to jump on it right away especially if you're in the 18 to 26 range. The knowledge that these guys have is just astonishing. I thought I had a chance to make it to the NBA, but after these guys teaching us what they know I honestly don't think I have the brain capacity to know all they have to and do know.

UNBELIEVEABLE CAMP!!!!!!