View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Who:Truerookie
When: June 24-26 2005
Where: Jacksonvill, Illinois
Why:To become a Referee and not stay an Umpire

I attended my first camp this past weekend. I have to say it was a very positive experience for me. I have not work three person mechanics before. The name of the camp Midwest Referee School ran by Al Raya of the Midwest Conference. The clinicians were very patience with the campers they did not talk down to you they were hands on. I had the opportunity to do a few game with a couple of them. Yes! they were on the floor with the camper doing games. We had good wholesome classroom instructions between games. The instructions covered alot of things from game management to how to break game film down. Yes! you could film yourself. I did! My first game was a total disaster according to my standards however, I took what the clinicians evaluated me on throughout the day and worked on one thing per game and as the weekend progressed things got better. I have to say all the clinicians were on the same page. You did not get conflicting information from different clinicians which is a plus. We had some very well known D-1 official as clinicians who have done NCAA games a few of them had done the Final Four. I would recommend this camp to any persons interested in attending a Womens camp. The cost is reasonable and the food being served is OUTSTANDING!!!! That was my camp experience

P.S. We covered the new rule changes that will affect the NCAA Womens game. I would give this camp a few marketing pitch. Go to the Midwest Referee School the last weekend in June every year. I will attend again.