Old Sat Jun 25, 2005, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

In every game we ref, we adjust our calls to the ability level of the teams. A poor team may be affected by slight contact that a good team might be able to play through. If we call a foul for slight contact against the good team, we might be taking a hoop away from them. In a blowout game with two teams of differing abilities, I can understand letting a little more contact go on one end than the other if it isn't affecting the play.
Z,
I generally find myself officiating both ends to the level of the better team.
I feel no need to reward poor coaches or weak, unskilled players.
mick
Early in my career I had the "honor" of reffing a 5th grade girls league championship game. The coach of one team was adamant that he wanted me to call it very tight. When I asked him why, he told me that that is the only way his girls could compete with the other team.

If we call the game differently just because one team is weaker, we may end up changing the game, and possibly the outcome. Normally the stronger team should win. And we shouldn't be in the business of evening things out or helping one team out, not even accidentally with good intentions.

Just my $0.02.
Note in my previous post that I mentioned "a blowout game." I'm talking about games where the outcome is already decided.

Z