View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
I had an interesting experience last week that has made me think that maybe I'm starting to get the whole game management thing.

JV boys game, controlled blowout, about 2 minutes left. We have a 1-and-1. Kid misses the first shot, foul on the rebound. Another 1-and-1. Kid misses the first shot, foul on the rebound. Happens again. Happens yet again, only this time we march to the other end to shoot.

Tired of this mess, I step in to admin the free throw and say "Guys, let's go in straight up and see if we can just get out of this, okay?" Well this time the kid bails us out and makes both free throws.

So we throw it in and we're headed the other way then we have a foul out top (I won't call it a reaching foul :P). I whistle it up and fouler looks up at me sheepishly and says, "Sorry, Ref."

I just had to chuckle.
Of course I didn't see what you saw but when you have 4 rebounding fouls I think you either clean it up before that or have a more patient whistle (advantage/disadvantage) and let them play it out. JV boys can play thru a fair amount of contact. JMO and again, I didn't see what you saw.

Usually in a "blow out", you can manage the game by putting the losing team on the line and passing on fouls that might put the winning team on the line. This keeps the losing team from feeling like it's 5 vs 7, but still don't allow the team that is down to swing away on fouls.
It was late in the game, the losing team was frustrated, and they were all "had to get," obvious fouls.

Even though I sympathize with the notion of being more willing to pass on contact against the winning time in a blowout, I'm pretty much with Chuck. Sometimes you introduce an inadvertent side-effect of letting the losing team back into the game. Sometimes you introduce an inadvertent side-effect of letting the winning team get frustrated because they're not getting the calls they should get. Once the scrubs get into the game, especially if they're subbing in wholesale, it's a new game anyway and you need to be taking care of business.