View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 06, 2000, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, y'all--I enjoy the board, which keeps me on my toes and at my best.

I'm currently finishing my first year on the varsity, which means it's my first year really enforcing the 10-minute rule for pregame book stuff (for right or wrong, we generally are fairly lax about this at JV level and below--sometimes they don't even have 10 minutes on the floor before game time!) As a result, I'm still not accustomed to administrative stuff.

So I'm the ref a couple of weeks ago for a varsity game, head across to the table at 12 and a half, and there ain't no book there. Talk to home coach--he says "she's usually here in plenty of time...I don't know where she is." The JV game was fairly fast, so we're on target to start our varsity game at 7:55 instead of 8.

Ignoring what I actually did for a moment, I'd like to know what you would do. Here are five possibilities that various experienced refs have given me:

1. Stop the scoreboard clock. Wait a minute or two for the book. Check it. Restart the clock from there. No T.

2. Same as #1, only when you restart the clock, restart it at 5 minutes instead of 10 to make up for the lost time. No T.

3. Declare that the visiting book is now official, and tell the home coach to get his lineup in there. No T.

4. You don't want to start the game with a T. Reset the clock for a higher number (perhaps for our scheduled starting time).
No T.

5. A rule's a rule. T them if the book ain't there on time.

ALL OF THESE are choices my experienced colleagues have given me! Which would you do?

Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul in Seattle (edited February 06, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Paul in Seattle (edited February 06, 2000).]