View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 22, 2005, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

OBR basically has the same rule on a double play where interference has occured.

7.09(g) "If, in the judgment of the umpire, a base runner willfully and deliberately interferes with a batted ball or a fielder in the act of fielding a batted ball with the obvious intent to break up a double play, the ball is dead. The umpire shall call the runner out for interference and also call out the batter runner because of the action of his teammate. In no event may bases be run or runs scored because of such action by a runner."

I would guess that FED, since on a FPSR violation they call both the FPSR violator and the BR out, they tried to be consistent with OBR and not allow any runs to score on such a play. I'm not exactly sure why OBR originally would not allow a run to score on such a play, except that they wanted to give additional penalty to interference on a double play. On this point, at least NFHS is consistent.

Since the runner has already scored in the malicious contact play, there is no rule that allows that run to be taken off the board, by the runners actions alone after scoring. The penalty for post-scoring malicious contact is simply ejection.

Is there any other play in which a runner can be called out and/or his run disallowed after scoring, for something that occurs after the runner has crossed the plate?
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates