View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 21, 2005, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by mike miles

Baserunner attempts to steal third.

It has been my "opinion" ( I know I should no the exact rule chapter and verse) that the batters box is safe haven for the batter providing he does not intentional try to "interfere" with the catcher and it is the catchers responsilbity to avoid the batter while throwing to a base when a batter is in the box.

So "if" the batter "intentionally" interfered I would have called the batter out and put the runner back on second.

Be careful when using the terminology "Intentionally" with regards to batter's interference.

The reason we need intent in your play is because the batter has the right to offer/swing at any pitch he so chooses. In addition, one cannot expect the batter to simply vanish.

Let's assume the same situation as above except this time B1 swings hard and his momentum carries him right across home plate interfering with F2's throw.

In the aforementioned, even though B1 didn't meant to interfere the fact is he did so we peanlize.

Generally speaking We do not need intent when it comes to batter's interference (assuming F2 made a clean catch of the ball)

Pete Booth