View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

In addition to working HS games in the Chicago-area, I also work small college games in Illinois and Indiana. I have noticed a difference between Chicago/Illinois guys and Indiana guys. They are really mechanic differences rather than judgement/style of play differences. My experience has been that Indiana guys blow their whistle alot - i.e. to signal the ball is being administered on a thrown in when a sub has just come into the game (similar to what is done after time outs); when throw-in is administered on baseline opposite table, Trail will raise his hand to help start clock (the idea being that timer may not be able to see Lead's signal).

I'm going to a college officiating camp this weekend that will have guys from Hawaii to Florida attending. I seem to remember that guys from the South were very demonstrative with their signal mechanics (I think they watch too many NBA games) and guys from the Texas/Kansas/Oklahoma part of the Midwest tended to project a large presence (booming voice & tried to be physically imposing). I really didn't detect a substantial difference in the type of calls officials were making.

Good officials will learn what the Supervisors of their conference wants called and will call the game accordingly. If you work many conferences, then you've got to be dilligent in preparing for each assignment and follow the Conf. Supvsr's. POE's.