View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Dan,

Thanks for the update. I think I'll pick up a copy and check it out and send it to my son.

Now, basketball wise, And-1 is pathetic, but entertainment wise, they are as I have said before, the new Globetrotters IMO. Guess they are making some waves if SI has them on the cover.

Because my son was at the right age, we began to watch the weekly ESPN And-1 Mix Tape tour programs . I tried to explain to my son that it was basic garbage but to take away some of the entertainment value. This was one of my main beefs with the NBA in that with the And-1 guys, you know they are going to do a lot of illegal stuff and it not be called, whereas, with the NBA, you would expect them to call these violations.

After watching the show for 2 years, it became interesting to see who would get bumped from the traveling crew each week and who would make it until the end to get a contract as one of the regulars. We loved the "Professor". Little white guy who looks like a little professor-geek type, but can do it all. He ended up making the team and it was pretty interesting to see who got cut and who didn't. Basically, if you entertained in the game, you had a good chance of staying. If you didn't, bye-bye. There is no pretense, it's all about entertainment.

The personalities are worth the price of admission, and a couple of the guys have made it to the NBA too. Some of the guys in the beginning were real playground legends, but I'm not so sure now.

Anyway, what I wouldn't give for the NBA to invite the "Helicoptor" to the NBA dunk contest! He'd win it hands down.

If you like running and gunning, and dunking from anywhere on the court, then And-1 might be a good alternative to watching the tired Harlem Globtrotters.

goose