View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

It is true that if a runner, after the ball has gone into DBT, proceeds to touch the next base, he cannot legally return to touch a base missed or left too soon.

Therefore, in (e), Abel cannot legally return. Of course, as umpire we do not announce that fact, but instead honor an appeal on Abel even if he does return.

My understanding of the plays is as follows:

(a) because Abel has initiated a return, we award him 3B, even though he was between 2B and 3B when the throw left the fielder's hand

(b) award 3B

(c) award home (this has been the subject of much debate; the idea is that awarding only 3B announces to the defense that Abel left too soon); of course, Abel would be out on appeal

(d) at first, award home, but after Abel then initiates a return to touch 1B, change the award to 3B (needless to say, this has also generated debate!)

(e) award home, but allow the appeal on Abel even if he subsequently returns to touch 1B. I guess that if Abel tried, even illegally, to return, you would have to change the award to 3B since not changing the award would be tantamount to announcing to the defense that Abel was not permitted to return

This is speaking OBR. I have no idea how Fed would call these plays. It is interesting, for example, that ASA softball would award bases entirely differently in most of these cases.