View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 06:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Var FB game at an old stadium here in KC, MO. Stands and press box are right on top of the field. The field is used by 3 teams so it gets very beat up. They cover the sideline area with a tarp so it doesn’t get muddy. I was walking the sidelines before the game when the band takes the field for the Anthem. I am right in front of the band, which is directly in front of the stands and box. I look around for another member of the crew to try to meet up with him and get out of the way. Our BJ is 15-20 yards away so I start trotting to them. As I am running on the sidelines, I step in this HUGE hole on the sidelines that was covered up by the tarp and roll my ankle. I literally rolled like 2 or 3 times, right in front of the band and the stands. I get up, realize I did a number on my ankle, and sit down on the bench. A trainer was right there and starts taping up my ankle. R comes over and starts giving me a hard time about it all. Next thing I now, a fan comes up to R and says, “Do I need to go to the car and get my stuff?” NFL official (can’t remember his name, he’s on Hochili’s crew) who has a son playing in the game. That was the first time I ever met an NFL official. I bet I made a great first impression.
I work the game, limping the entire time, and my knickers got filthy when I rolled on the tarp. I am LJ so my dirty backside was to the stands the entire game. In the 3rd quarter the head coach finally comes up to me and asks, “What happened to your pants?” I explained the story. I never heard a head coach laugh so hard.

Baseball: Working a 13 year old game. Pitch bounces between catchers legs right up to my crotch (for lack of a better term). I wasn’t wearing a cup so I got it good. I stumbled down the third base-line, everyone knew what happened. I sit down for like 30 minutes. People were laughing/cringing in the stands. I ended up going to my car, changing out of my plate stuff, and working the rest of the game from behind the mound. Few days later, I was working a tournament across town (at least 30 minutes away), now wearing my cup of course. I hear a young kid in the stands say, “That’s the ump who got hit in the b*lls!” Turns out he was playing in the game when I got hit and his brother was playing in the tournament.