View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

It depends!

Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44
15-16 yr olds, FED rules, I'm BU. Team B (visitors) is up 7-2 going into the Bottom of the 5th. Team A has made a comeback and it's now 7-6 with 1 out. Team B brings in a new F1 who on first pitch throws a ball. On the pitch, I was in the C. As the pitcher gets the ball back from the catcher, he looks into the Team A dugout (3rd base line) and yells "Oh so we're going to start talking sh!t now!" I immediately called time and ejected F1. At no time did I hear anything come from Team A's dugout, and there had been no problems before this in the game. Team B HC didn't complain to me directly, but I heard him say later that it was one of the weakest ejections he had ever seen. Did I jump the gun here? If so, what should I have done? For you coaches out there, what would your perspective of this had been if you were 1) Team B coach and 2) Team A coach?
I would say this depends!

Obviously there was something going on in the game before this.

But some factors I would use to determine would be 1)How well do you know the players playing 2)What is expected in this league as far as behavior etc., 3)what is your reputation and standard for player conduct.

I can only speak for myself, but I use situations like this to embarass the pitcher and let him know that he will respect the game and the players playing.

I would have called time and had a discussion with the F1 right on the mound and everyone in the park would know what we were discussing. I'm sure after that there would be no more problems from F1.

But that's my style. I like to handle things and go on.

Thanks
David