Thread: Mets-Stros game
View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mattmets
It was a fastball square in the back. In my mind, the first pitch after the manager comes out is just a little suspicious. A slumping Mike Piazza is on deck with 2 out....it could have been taken a number of ways I guess.
Mets are winning 2-1, 2 outs. Beltran just singled and next pitch to Floyd is a wild pitch, Beltran to 2b, count 1-0. Seems like a good time for manager to make a trip to the mound. Next pitch hits Floyd. Hmmmm. Floyd on 1B, Beltran on 2B. Piazza walks, bases loaded. Anderson singles, Beltran scores. Pitching change (it's about time). Wright K's to end the inning. I would not be a bit surprised to see a visit to the mound in a 2-1 ball game after a pitcher allows a single and then throws one wild allowing that runner to advance to 2B. I would be shocked to learn the manager told the pitcher to hit the batter to put 2 runners on base, with Mike Piazza on deck, slumping or not. The only thing that might make a warning appropriate is the visit by the manager. Otherwise this is a pitcher getting tired, and manager not quick enough with the hook.

[Edited by DG on Jun 7th, 2005 at 10:31 PM]