View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

OBR 8.01 (a) The Windup Position. The pitcher shall stand facing the batter, his entire pivot foot on, or in front of and touching and not off the end of the pitcher's plate, and the other foot free. From this position any natural movement associated with his delivery of the ball to the batter commits him to the pitch without interruption or alteration. He shall not raise either foot from the ground, except that in his actual delivery of the ball to the batter, he may take one step backward, and one step forward with his free foot.

The only standard interpretation that I know of to this rule is that a step to the side is also legal.

In the set position, you could lift your leg up to throw to a base or pitch. Just not to disengage the rubber.

That is why the lefty, Andy Pettite type pick off move is legal. (And very deceptive as well, which is fine, because it is not against the rules)

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew F
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
The move is by rule, not allowed in the windup. Why would you allow it in the set?
And please show me that rule.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates