View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 01, 2005, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

As a coach, I differntiate the tournament organization from the officiating, unless I notice that a lot of high school or college kids are being used, sharing shirts so that they look official, just kind of walking up and down the court with no intentions of really "calling" the game.

If I get a T, and I have, I know I deserved it. It is not like it would suprise me. And I would not blame the TD for the issue. So the TD should not put so much wait on placating the coaches. I have never thought that a ref was out to get me when I got a T, I earned them all.

I can only think of one instance where I thought the ref was a little too literal. Consolation game of a 4 team one day tourney. The game didn't count, I was platooning in players every two minutes for equal minutes and then the scorekeeper (neutral) noticed one of my players was not in the book. When she asked me for the roster before the game I referenced the tourney program she had in her hand and she copied it from that and missed one guy. The ref, even after talking to the neutral score keeper assessed a bench T.

Then, this is where I lost it, the opposing coach who was placing way too much importance on a consolation game (not playing everyone, junk D, etc in 7th grade) started saying "he can't play, he can't play, he's not in the book" to which I said, "I'm not benching him, its 7th grade and I am trying to teach them the game, I am not making him sit, T me up every time he goes in if you have to."

Then the ref did calm down the other coach and we moved on.