View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 01, 2005, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Daryl H. Long
About 30 seconds into the timeout I heard someone behind me mention the coach's language. I had heard enough so I looked to the timer and motioned to him to sound the horn. I approached the team bench area and said "Coach, that was the 1st horn. Also, I let you make your point to your team but the language I heard is unacceptable and I hope I do not hear it again." He gave me an icy look and grunted but said nothing. We resumed the game and during the next dead ball I overheaard a couple of his players say it was about time someone said something to the coach about his language.

A few minutes later, the team was still playing badly and he requested his 2nd timeout. I reported this to the table and before I could go to my spot he tore into his team again starting to use the same profane language but his voice was not as loud. I stepped in immediately and informed him any further profanity would result in my taking care of the situation by rule?

You warned him once, and then warned him again? Daryl, I see that you don't want to be overzealous, it's summer-ball, etc. However, I have always been taught if a stop sign is warranted, give it, but never give another one! I would assume that the next "no-no" this coach did would result in a T after the second warning you gave him, but for a lot of coaches, getting 2 warnings = free reign. Warn him once (if you choose to do it at all), and then whack him. When he complains it's simple:

"Coach, unsportsmanlike conduct is a technical foul. By using multiple f-bombs to 14-16 year old girls that everyone in the gym can hear, you were acting in an unsporting manner." If he doesn't like it, then he can b!#(h all he wants to the parking lot. If the TD doesn't like it, then he can go find another official, IMO.