View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 01, 2005, 06:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
Fed rules. Pitcher throwing fast ball slow enough he could not get a speeding ticket in a school zone. Curverball comes in, does not break. Batter does not flinch at all and takes it in the helmet. All to obvious he was wanting to take it as my deade Granny could have moved out of the way.

Do you give him first??

I personnaly am torn about it. I can see both ways. Yeah it is in the head and most people would not say a word to give him first. But you know there will be people still saying he has to move per the rules. I would be happy to give him first with the slightest of movement to "avoid" but like I said, he did not even flinch.
I understand what you are getting at here but did you ever stop to concider the old "deer in the headlights" problem? When many youth batters see the ball coming for them (especially the head), many of them just freeze. I don't care how slow the ball is coming in, a lot of them just don't know what to do. As a PU, you can usually tell when a player is "hunting for a free ride". In almost any HBP in the helmet, B1's getting 1st.

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1 Let's play it this way too. Batter ducks his head into the strike zone and takes it there. Call it a strike and keep him at home? This really isn't 3rd world as I have see batters come really close to doing this, mostly on big breaking curves.
Again, working youth players can be fun here. B1, by ducking down is trying to avoid the pitch. And again, the PU has to really see what happened. I'm not going to committ to a yes or a no here because it is really a HTBT situation.