View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 01, 2005, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Daryl H. Long
About 30 seconds into the timeout I heard someone behind me mention the coach's language. I had heard enough so I looked to the timer and motioned to him to sound the horn. I approached the team bench area and said "Coach, that was the 1st horn. Also, I let you make your point to your team but the language I heard is unacceptable and I hope I do not hear it again." He gave me an icy look and grunted but said nothing. We resumed the game and during the next dead ball I overheaard a couple of his players say it was about time someone said something to the coach about his language.

A few minutes later, the team was still playing badly and he requested his 2nd timeout. I reported this to the table and before I could go to my spot he tore into his team again starting to use the same profane language but his voice was not as loud. I stepped in immediately and informed him any further profanity would result in my taking care of the situation by rule?

Although he stopped the profanity he started to whine about how I was crimping his coaching style, I was impeding his way to motivate his players, "just let me coach in peace", "I'm going to report you to the tournament manager".

I called his bluff and instructed someone at the site to get both the site manager and tournamnet manager there ASAP. Then quickly put the ball back in play to get the game going and end the conversation.

At halftime, I talked to both the site director and the tournament manager. Both said at first that what goes on in the huddle should not concern me as it was the parents' job to take care of the coach. When I verified to them both that I did have the authority by rule to assess T and eject they accepted it but didn't like it. I also informed the tournament manager that since it was his tournament, if he was OK with coaches using profanity toward the players then he could make that decision. If so, I would have to leave as I could not officiate in that kind of environment.

The 2nd half went smooth with no repeats of the vulgarities.
Sounds good to me.

Coach: Let me coach in peace!
Ref: Peace is fine. Profanity isn't.