View Single Post
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 06:37pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
OmniSpiker, since I do not know what USAV region you are from, I cannot help you with a lot of specifics. However, you can make a phone call your regional office to discuss the situation that is frustrating you concerning the officiating.

Here in Northern California, we no longer have certified officials at the Power League tournaments nor the Area League tournaments. What we do, though, is to assign officials as Tournament Directors for the day. In addition to making sure that things run smoothly, we also enforce the gym rules (water only in the gym, no food or coolers, and in some facilities - no chairs are allowed to be brought in), record the results of pool play and enter the results on the playoff bracket sheets. Then, we mostly attempt to manage the time so that the teams can play as much as possible (meaning 10 minutes warmup for the first two matches of pool play for four-team pools, and then five minutes of shared hitting with no serving for every match after that). After match #2, if I see a court where teams are bumping the ball for more than a minute or two, I am at that court calling the captains together and getting the five minute clock running. In addition, if I am TD'ing, I am also the Head Official and I will give rule interpretations and correct rule misapplications.

Hopefully, your RVA can give you some support and helpful information to use to make things go smoother.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)