View Single Post
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: the jump-stop is killing the game for younger players...

Quote:
Originally posted by BrentD22
They showed us that the jump stop has to be done like this.

1- The jump can not happen after the first step.
2- You must basiclly jump during your last dribble, land with two feet.
3- You can not pivot after landing. This would be a third step resulting in a travel call.
4- You also must jump off of both feet. Not lean toward basket and leave off of one foot.

Am I correct in this?
Kind of. There are actually two different plays that are commonly called a jump-stop and that's why there's so much confusion about it.

The first kind of jump-stop is when a player jumps, then catches the ball, then stops by landing on both feet simultaneously. In this case, the player is allowed to pivot and can use either foot as the pivot foot. This is the simpler case, obviously.

The second kind of jump-stop (some of us have taken to calling it a hop-stop to avoid confusion ) is when an airborne player catches the ball, then lands on one foot, then jumps off that foot and stops by landing on both feet simultaneously. In this case, the player may not pivot at all; he has no pivot foot. The player may jump again to pass or shoot, but I don't think there's any requirement that both feet leave the ground simultaneously. The rule simply says that there is no pivot foot.

I hope that helps.